Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Training Day - (where have I heard that before ) 29th


My effort - modelled by Charles - some veil trimming needed


We leave for the OYAG group stopping to buy another three pairs of scissors on the way.

We arrive at the village on-time and we are the first there. Other members are still having to finish their daily chores and in the fields before coming to this.

By 10.30 a group of 15 people4 have arrived including two from the KAWO group, we are ready to start.

I take advantage of the delay to ask for a fire to be lit and then practice on an old piece of maize sacking with a hot stick. I get the hang of it but not before a make a few big holes.

I start of by showing them the suit I have made and telling them how much it cost. Would they like to learn to make their own? A resounding yes and loud clapping so we get started.

I have enough material to make three more suits and I decide to start of the tops as that is the most useful part should we run out of time today.

I show the group what to do and I am promptly pushed off the mat as the groups of people start on their own materials.

Work goes quickly and the skill of singeing the cut edges of the sacking is quickly mastered. No need for parcel tape here.

There are one or two early accidents with bad cuts of burnt holes but nothing that cannot be mended.

There is not lack of volunteers to model the suits as they start to take shape or to be measured before holes are cut. I draw the line at taking inside leg measurements but that just adds to the fun as the young men laugh and joke as they go about this work. A scene form 'Are you being served'.

The sewing skills of both men and women are remarkable and in no time at all the main bodice with arms of all three suits are finished.

Rather than do the hood I now concentrate on the trousers and with very little instruction the groups are away. I am standing in the background watching and giving practical advice and help where it is needed.

This group is working well together, is motivated and is having fun. The air is filled with a buzz ( and I use that word deliberately), laughter rings around the village.

Once the trousers are completed four of the men insist on wearing them to model for the rest of the group then to work in.

The hoods are a little more complicated but are no trouble for the group. One group is slower than the others but then their stitching is infinitely better.

By 3pm all three suits are finished and with whoops of glee they are put on and paraded round and round the centre of the village.

Time for a group photo and also to say good-bye.

I leave the remaining material, needles etc with the groups to share and Akol assures me that he will meet with the KAWO group and share plans and knowledge. The KAWO group take home with them the beesuit they have made and the knowledge they have gained.

We leave to head back to Mbale a job well done.

It is nice when a plan comes together.


Getting the fire lit - why does it take ten men to do it?


Akole, who is 6' 3" in my effort of a beesuit.


Singeing the edges of the sacking - practice


Initial cutting out


Group full of Buzzy Buzzy


They all wanted to model the suits.


Once on they would not take them off.


Group Photo for the album


Group photo - with energy.

2 comments:

  1. the only question in my mind is who learns quicker - Dave on the phone, or the OYAG group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Beekeeper Adrain I am one of the learner for that day i would like to let you know that this was because we were interested in learning and it has always been our dream "beekeeping" @Dave i remember the whole fun also that day

    ReplyDelete