Monday 14 November 2011

November 13 - The journey

The journey from Birmingham to Nairobi was good.  I checked the luggage in at Birmingham Airport.  One case weighing 22.9kgs and two cardboard boxes, joined together with masses of parcel tape, weighing 23.1kgs. My allowance was 2 x 23kg, so how was that for getting on the limit.  Hand luggage allowance was 10kg and very very fortunately was not weighed, nor was my jacket which had lots of pockets.

The flight into Amsterdam gave me the sight of a beautiful sunrise, blood red sky as the sun was just below the horizon, then getting lighter as a blood red sun rose above the horizon.

We landed at Amsterdam and I am sure that the plane had to taxi about 5 miles from the runway to the 'unloading' gate.

The plane to Nairobi was a Jumbo, 747.  Capable of 450 passengers but only about 350 on board, so plenty of room to spread out.  I had two seats to myself, so could spread books and legs out wherever I wanted.

The flight was nearly 8 hours and we landed on time.  I got to watch Oceans 11 and half of Wallace &  Grommit.  There was nothing to see out of the window apart from a vast carpet of cloud, then it was dark early.

Entry to Kenya was smooth and jovial.  The queue for the Visa was about an hour, but good humoured.  Once through that off to collect the baggage, the two card board boxes were still as one, the parcel tape holding out.  Then I 'tip toed' through the nothing to declare channel and that was that.

Samuel was waiting for me, so a short trip to the Anglican Church guest house.  A good clean room and comfortable bed, what more do you need.

Tomorrow the journey up north to meet with John and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment