Tuesday 29 November 2011

Shopping and making a Beesuit - 27th

The day starts off warm - as usual. The norm is for warm in the morning then thunderstorms around 4pm and rain overnight.

After breakfast off into Mbale to get the shopping I need to make my first Beesuit from maize flour sacks. Overnight Mary has sent me texts and instructions on what has to be done. I am already aware of the process having spoken to both Mary and John about this at some length when we were still in the UK.

The biggest problem I have is that I do not have access to an open fire at the guest House, so cannot melt the cut seams of the Maize sacks to stop them fraying and - quite literally - falling apart. I have decide to get some insulating tape, or the like, and stick the bags with this and then cut through this and the bags.

I later find that the roll of Parcel tape in my luggage is brilliant for this job. So I guess Sellotape would do the same.

The market is in full swing when we get to the town centre, and it is nice and sunny


The shopping goes OK apart from getting the maize sacks nand the needles took a lot of tracking down. We were directed into the centre of the market for the maize sacks but as a Mzungu I stood out a little and we were getting harassed increasingly by people to buy their goods. We saw a guy across the road filling empty sacks with flour so I asked him if he had any to sell, he didn't but offered to go into the market and get what I wanted - brilliant. Five minutes later we had the sacks and were on our way back to the Guest House.

I took over a couple of tables in the courtyard and set to work. Ordering the occasional Soda so as not to be asked to leave. As my work progress I got ever increasing funny looks from the staff and other guests who passed by.


The Starter kit from the market. I bought enough to make four suits - in for a penny in for a pound. My rough costings put the cost per suit at about 6,500 schillings (1.80 in sterling) plus my labour. Professionally made beesuits cost 250,000 schillings here - a bit of a saving.


Start on the easy bits the legs. But do you know how difficult it is to measure your own inside leg? Tip number 1 - leave plenty room to grow.


This bit is easy too, just three cuts in a sack but the edges need stitching to stop the fraying.


Getting more complicated now - I didn't know my arms were that long.

I am pleased at my rudimentary sewing skill. The needles I bought are huge so I can thread them easily with doubled up thread. The seams may not be too straight but they appear to be holding and are certainly bee proof.

It eventually got too dark to work outside and that and the mosquitoes drove me indoors to my room to continue the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment